At DrinkWell we have searched market to find you lower calorie alternatives and the 2 below are the ones we think you will love!!
Is there a low calorie Gin alternative in the UK?
Here at DrinkWell we sell two premium alternatives that have noticeably lower calories per 25m serving than regular gin.
The first one, LoCa Bev Minus 33, is an incredible juniper infused spirit with 46 calories per 25ml serving. With an ABV of 33% (hence the name), this particular bottle can't officially be classified as a gin, seeing as gin has to have an ABV of at least 37.5% – as mentioned above. Nevertheless, it is absolutely perfect for those of you looking for a lower calorie spirit that tastes the same as gin - if not better, with its hints of citrus, lavender and elderflower. Therefore, if you’ve not tried it yet, grab yourself a bottle of Minus 33 - the gin that isn’t a gin - and combine it with a slimline tonic or a lighter tonic to save as many calories as possible.
The second premium gin alternative we stock is LUXLO. New to market, LUXLO is a premium lower alcohol gin alternative at 20% ABV that is juniper led with nine carefully selected botanicals. With 28 calories per 25ml serving, LUXLO has 56% fewer calories than the average bottle of gin.
Beautiful inside and out, the finished product is exquisitely balanced, smooth, light, crisp and refreshing. This truly is a gin alternative with absolutely no compromise on flavour, but allows for those wishing to moderate their alcohol and calorie intake from alcohol. Make sure to grab yourself a bottle whilst our stocks last.
With International Gin & Tonic Day taking place later this week (19th October), we take a look at the calories in this popular concoction and consider the difference that opting for a lower calorie gin and a lighter or slimline tonic can make to the volume of calories you consume whilst drinking alcohol.
How many calories are there in a 25ml serving of gin?
Recent statistics released by the Wine & Spirit Trade Association revealed that the sale of gin in the UK has grown more than any other spirit. Reflecting this, the number of gin brands in the market has more than doubled since 2010.
With such a huge selection to choose from, which of the gins available contain the lowest number of calories:
- Tanqueray Old Tom Gin - 98 calories (25ml)
- Greenall’s Gin - 96 calories (25ml)
- Junipero Gin - 87 calories (25ml)
- Gordon’s Sloe Gin - 83 calories (25ml)
- Aviation Gin - 70 calories (25ml)
- Beefeater Gin - 67 calories (25ml)
- Tanqueray Gin - 67 calories (25ml)
- Plymouth Gin - 62 calories (25ml)
- Copperhead Gin - 60 calories (25ml)
- Bombay Sapphire - 56 calories (25ml)
- Gordon’s Premium Pink Distilled Gin - 56 calories (25ml)
- Botanist Gin - 56 calories (25ml)
- Brockmans Gin - 56 calories (25ml)
- Pickering’s Gin - 56 calories (25ml)
- Brockmans Gin - 56 calories (25ml)
- Skol Gin - 54 calories (25ml)
- Hendrick’s Gin - 54 calories (25ml)
- Gordon’s Special Dry Gin - 52 calories (25ml)
- Sipsmith Gin - 52 calories (25ml)
- Opihr Gin - 50 calories (25ml)
Evidently, there is a wide spectrum when it comes to the number of calories contained in the UK’s most popular brands of gin. Across the gins listed above, though, the average number of calories in a standard 25ml serving is 64.
But aren’t we forgetting something? Before we get too carried away we need to understand the impact of the tonic water.
How many calories are there in tonic water?
Although starting out as carbonated water, tonic water also contains quinine along with a sweetener of some kind. Whereas traditional tonic water may contain high fructose corn syrup, cane sugar or simply sugar, diet tonic waters make use of artificial sweeteners.
Comparing the traditional variety of tonic water with its respective diet version, the difference in calories included can be quite dramatic:
- Schweppes Tonic Water - 21 calories (per 100ml)
- Schweppes Slimline Tonic Water - 2 calories (100ml)
- Fever-Tree Premium Indian Tonic Water - 28 calories (per 100ml)
- Fever-Tree Naturally Light Tonic Water - 15 calories (100ml)
- Fentimans Premium Tonic Water - 29 calories (per 100ml)
- Fentimans Naturally Light Tonic Water - 18 calories (per 100ml)
Of course, there are those that wouldn’t dream of changing their preferred accompaniment to gin, but to a less discerning palette, the calorie saving above is fairly self-evident.
How does gin and tonic compare to other alcoholic beverages?
When looking at the average number of calories contained in a standard measure for each of the main categories of alcoholic beverages, gin and tonic is quite noticeably lower.
- Beer - 215 calories (pint)
- Cider - 210 calories (pint)
- Red Wine - 160 calories (125ml)
- White Wine - 159 calories (125ml)
- Rosé Wine - 147 calories (125ml)
- Gin & Tonic - 90 calories (25ml gin; 100ml tonic)
Regardless of any calorie saving, moderation must always be exercised - perhaps even more so with gin which to be classified as gin has to have an ABV of at least 37.5%.
As always, though: drink responsibly, drink smart and drink skinny.
Explore our full range of lower calorie alcohol here.Buy Now